2017 Audition Requirements
Auditions now closed for the 2017 Conducting Master Class.
If you would still like to attend, please consider auditing.
Program dates: June 27 - July 12, 2017
Conductors are chosen for the 6-8 positions through a competitive audition process.
Audition deadline: Monday, February 20, 2017
- Two videos showing rehearsal and performance footage. See specific details below.
- A video essay of 5-7 minutes recounting your development as a musician thus far. The new format of our Discovery Series features our Master Class Participants not only conducting, but speaking to the audience and presenting details of Bach's works. This video will help us to get a sense of your presentation skills.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of significant repertory and performances you have conducted, giving a picture of your conducting career as it currently stands.
- Three letters of reference from current and/or former teachers and colleagues who can comment on your conducting ability and musicianship.
The videos showing conducting and rehearsal technique are the most important part of the application. The videos must demonstrate the applicant’s technique and musicianship as a rehearsal technician and conductor. The following guidelines apply for the video submissions:
- 2 videos, 8 - 10 uninterrupted minutes each, preferably with an ensemble you already conduct. The first video should showcase the middle of a rehearsal, after warm-ups and other early rehearsal activities. Keep in mind that the ensembles you will conduct at OBF will arrive to rehearsals warmed-up and with their music already well-learned, so we would like to get a sense of how you would work in such an environment. The second video should be of a performance.
- Camera must be a straight on view of the conductor without blockage from ensemble members. Audio of conductor's words must be clearly heard.
- The web-based application accepts videos from YouTube or other hosting sites (posted as public or unlisted), allows you to share from Dropbox, or to upload files directly.
To cover the cost of the application site, there is a $10 fee to apply. The Oregon Bach Festival does not make a profit from these fees.
Click here to see additional questions other applicants have asked. Selected conductors will be notified by late March or early April, 2017 with the entire roster set by mid-April 2017. If you have any questions about the audition process or the class itself, don't hesitate to contact Camille Lively (firstname.lastname@example.org) by email or phone at 541-346-1320.