Master Class in Conducting: Audition Requirements
Conductors are chosen for the 6-8 positions through a competitive audition process.
The videos showing conducting and rehearsal technique is the most important part of the application. The video must demonstrate the applicant’s technique and musicianship as a rehearsal technician and conductor. The following guidelines apply for the clips to be submitted:
- Master Class Audition Application 2014
- Links to YouTube videos showing rehearsals featuring chorus, orchestra, or combined ensembles. See specifics below.
- An informal biography, written in the first person, recounting your development as a musician thus far. Maximum of 500 words.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of significant repertory and performances you have conducted, giving a picture of your conducting career as it currently stands.
- Three letters of reference from current and/or former teachers and colleagues who can comment on your conducting ability and musicianship. (Letters can be mailed or emailed separately to the addresses below.)
Click here to see additional questions other applicants have asked. All material should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the following address:
Oregon Bach Festival Master Class, 1257 University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403
The deadline for material to arrive at the OBF office is February 21, 2014. Selected conductors will be notified by March 1 with the entire roster set by mid-March.
If you have any questions about the audition process or the class itself, don't hesitate to contact Dave Goudy (email@example.com) by email or phone at 541-346-5675.
- 2 videos showing 15-20 minutes of rehearsal - preferably with an ensemble you already conduct. Include only 1 or 2 works or sections within larger works shot in sequence without editing.
- Camera must be a straight on view of the conductor without blockage from ensemble members. Audio of conductor's words must be clearly heard.
- Both videos should be uploaded to YouTube and if you save them as Private, include firstname.lastname@example.org for sharing.